The mountain brothers of Everest!

The climatic conditions in the Sagarmatha region change without prior signs. The team gears up for the summit attempts as the weather clears up and the men set out for the top. There is no time to waste , it's a now or never situation as the teams climbing permit expires by the end of the month may 2001.Indian Army added another feather to its cap in May 2001 , when its mountaineers successfully scaled Mount Everest and put a record eight members and seven Sherpas on the summit. This is the largest number of summiteers on Mount Everest in an Indian expedition.The mighty mountain ranges of the Himalayas have , over the centuries , inspired not only man's imagination and spiritual quest , but also his spirit of adventure. Mount Everest , the tallest of the peaks of the Himalayas as also the whole world , stood in its unattainable isolation for thousands of years , till Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary conquered it in 1953. Since then , at least a thousand climbers have set foot on it. That at least 200 have lost their lives while trying to scale the peak speaks of the infinite dangers involved in the task.The Indian Army Mount Everest Expedition was flagged off by the Chief of the Army Staff on 1st March 2001 at New Delhi. It was led by Col. Krishan Kumar. After flagging off , the team moved to Nepal and after a long trek from Jiri , reached Base Camp of Everest on 3rd April 2001.The stocking and establishment of various camps was completed by 10th May 2001 and summit attempts were planned for 14-15 May. However , bad weather forced the team to return to Base Camp from Camp-II. Weather remained bad for a few days. Finally on 19th May the team started from the Base Camp for their final attempt to reach the summit. On 20th May the first summit team reached Camp-HI and the next day they reached South Col around 1300 hours. The same night the summit attempt started. After making their way through severe winds and subfreezing conditions , the first party consisting of seven members an